Cleveland Park

The Cleveland Park section of Connecticut Avenue is from Tilden Street in the north to the Klingle Bridge in the south. This might fly in the face of what others say are the boundaries of Cleveland Park, but, hey, "others" didn't write this Web page, we did. The area got its name in 1886, when President Grover Cleveland purchased a farmhouse in the neighborhood and turned it into his summer White House.

Cleveland Park's main business district lies along Connecticut Avenue where the Red Line's Cleveland Park Metro station can be found. The neighborhood is known for its historic district which is mostly on the west side of the avenue. Also within the Cleveland Park boundaries are the Washington National Cathedral on Wisconsin Avenue and the historic Art Deco Uptown Theater on Connecticut Avenue.

On the east side of Connecticut Avenue adjacent to the Metro station is Sam's Park and Shop, built in 1930 and one of the nation's earliest strip malls.

Lots of restaurants are on Connecticut Avenue in Cleveland Park plus plenty of places for a drink.

or

 

The Cleveland Park Library and Cleveland Park Post Office are also here along with the Cleveland Park Fire Station. The string of businesses ends at Porter Street going north, replaced by an impressive line-up of apartments, condominiums, and co-ops between Porter Street and Tilden Street.